Chinese whole duck recipes and cuisines are must have in every Lunar New Year celebration. If you are currently running out of idea on how to cook your duck this year. Besides other phenomenal whole duck recipes, here are two great recipes that you definitely will like.
Chinese Whole Duck Recipes You Could Try
Cantonese Style of Roasted Whole Duck Recipe
5 pounds whole duck.
- 2 chopped onions.
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated.
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce.
- 3 teaspoons 5-spice powder.
- 2 tablespoons liquor, preferably sherry.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons honey.
- 2 tablespoons yellow bean sauce.
- 1.5 cup water.
How to Cook This one of Chinese Whole Duck Recipes
Cantonese style is one of the most popular Chinese whole duck recipes in the world. Follow these steps carefully, and enjoy the delicious sensation on your tongue.
- Boil the 1.5 cup water in a big pan.
- While waiting for the water to boil, clean the duck from excess fat.
- Put the duck on the boiling water for a minute. After that, remove the duck from the water and dry it.
- Prepare a bowl and mix the onions, five-spice powder, grated ginger, hoisin sauce, yellow bean sauce and the liquor there. Stir them well and rub the mixture evenly on the duck.
- Prepare a roasting rack over a roasting tin and put the duck on the rack set.
- Prepare a saucepan and boil water with honey and soy sauce there. After that, pour the mixture over the duck several times. Don’t use all the mixture, reserve some for later use.
- Set the duck aside on a cool area for about four or five hours until the honey and soy sauce mixture get dry on the duck’s skin.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C and roast the duck over around 1.5 cup of water for an hour, or until the skin looks crispy.
- Boil the reserved soy sauce and honey mixture on low heat for around 5 minutes. It will be the sauce for the duck.
- Rest the duck for about ten minutes before carving it.
- The duck is ready to serve with the sauce.
- Enjoy this one of Chinese whole duck recipes
Aromatic Roasted Whole Duck Recipe
- 5 pounds whole duck
100 ml char sui sauce
- 100 ml sweet soy sauce
- 1.5 L water
- 2 star anises
- 5 lemon slices
- 1 lemongrass
- 1 ginger tea bag
- Asian green vegetables such as bok choy, kai lan and Chinese cabbage
- Plum sauce
How to Cook
The hardest thing about cooking Chinese whole duck recipes is removing the duck’s smell. But you don’t have to worry about that anymore. This recipe will not only get rid of the smell, but also creating sweet aroma that will increase your appetite.
- For this one of Chinese whole duck recipes. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C
- In the meantime, boil the water with soy sauce and char sui sauce in large pot on medium heat.
- Put the duck into the pot for about five minutes to blanch it. After that, remove the duck, drain it and dry it thoroughly with paper towel.
- Prepare the roasting rack and place the duck on it. After that put the star anises, lemongrass, ginger tea bag, lemon slices and about two tablespoons char sui sauce into the duck cavity. Those ingredients will help removing the duck’s smell and make the dish more aromatic.
- Put the duck inside the oven and roast it for about 45 minutes or until the juices disappear.
- Remove the duck from the oven and let it rest for about ten minutes before carving it.
- Serve the duck with steamed bok choy, kalian and Chinese cabbage.
Duck symbolizes luck, loyalty and fertility. Therefore, make sure you fill your dining table with delicious duck cuisine and celebrate your Lunar New Year with these two mind-blowing Chinese whole duck recipes.